The Importance of a Daily Routine
Most successful people will tell you that one of the things that take priority for them is a daily routine. Whether they are focusing on becoming more productive, a better business owner, or to grow spiritually.
Although the primary focus of this content is to grow spiritually, it is also to help improve your life in other areas. We learn in Proverbs that when we guard or keep our heart, it has an effect on the other areas of our life. It states, “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life” (Proverbs 4:23).
Spending time with God also helps to serve as a preventative measure. “Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee” (Psalm 119:11). Sin can often be viewed as obvious things like adultery, fornication, or murder. However, this passage can also apply to simple things like putting other people or things before God, which can become a form of idolatry. It can mean operating in “anything that is not of faith, which is sin” (Romans 14.23)
Benefits of a daily routine:
● Brings a sense of order.
● Promotes discipline.
● Attributes to your day going smoother.
● Helps you to remain calm in situations that would normally frustrate you.
When we establish a daily routine, it helps us to put God first. Of course, not in a legalistic way wherein it becomes a robotic like type of ritual, but more of a way of honoring God with the first fruit of our day. Although it requires discipline, it also involves being led daily by the Holy Spirit. As we do this, we also receive direction and guidance on the other issues of life that can weigh us down if we try to continually handle things on our own.
Practical tips & strategies:
● Prayer (prayer journals, books with pre-written prayers based on scripture) (“Early will I seek thee” (Psalm 63:1 kjv).
● Christian guided meditations (YouTube videos specifically dedicated to meditation with Bible scriptures) (“Meditate in the word day & night...then you will make your way prosperous and you will have good success” (Joshua 1:8 esv).
● Bible reading (Daily devotionals, Bible reading plans, etc.) (“Draw near to God and he will draw near to you” (James 4:8 esv).
● Uplifting inspirational music (“The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness” (Isaiah 61:3).
● Exercise (“Bodily exercise profits little, but godliness is profitable unto all things”(1 Timothy 4:8).
● Sunshine (“He has made everything beautiful in its time” (Eccl 3:11) (We should enjoy the beauty of nature. We worship the Creator and we appreciate the splendor of his creation).
In closing, we spend time with God because God is a Spirit and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth (John 4:24). As such, we are also spirit beings. We are a spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body. Our soul consists of our mind, will, and emotions. When we do not feed our “spirit” our flesh gets stronger. In Galatians it states, “Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish” (Galatians 5:16).
In essence, even though we may want to please God, our spirit is weak and we give in to the flesh. Therefore, we must feed our spirit. Because whichever one we feed, will get stronger. Feeding our spirit positive things like scriptures, inspirational music, and godly content helps us to grow stronger spiritually. However, if we live on a consistent diet of social media, over indulgence of news, and chronic negativity from toxic people, we will grow weaker spiritually.
Start where you are comfortable. Be consistent. Even if it is just one Bible verse a day. Go to bed on time so that you can get up in the morning lol. You would be surprised how this tip alone has helped clients spend more time with God.
Last, but not least...I want to hear how this has helped you. Please share your progress!
If you’re still struggling with getting “unstuck”...Please reach out to me for 1:1 Coaching. We can get you the individualized help that you need to live the life that God has intended for you to live!
Another Level Coaching & Consulting.
Scriptures: www.biblegateway.com (ESV and KJV translations